Asphalt Plant Mechanic/Crew Leader
Sanders Brother Construction Co., Inc. is currently seeking an Asphalt Plant Mechanic/Crew Leader to support Sanders Brothers’ Asphalt Plant operations in Summerville, North Charleston, and Goose Creek, SC. The Asphalt Plant is a critical component to Sanders Brother’s 50+ years of success in the asphalt paving industry and requires dedicated and talented workers to ensure productivity.
Sanders Brothers Construction is a fully bonded, licensed and insured general contractor of street & road construction, and asphalt manufacturing. Founded in the early 60's, we continue to pride our company on the principles that laid the initial foundation for success: hard work, customer satisfaction and quality products and service. We offer Medical, Dental, Vision, Profit Sharing, 401K, Vacation and Holiday.
Role and Responsibilities
- Optimizing production through proper planning, minimizing downtime through proper maintenance practices, managing costs and providing strong leadership to plant employees with a strong emphasis on safety, quality and environmental compliance.
- This position will work closely with other departments, i.e., sales, finance, environmental, safety and human resources to ensure that the plant meets governmental, legal, and corporate expectations.
- Engage the crew and provide effective communications to improve safety performance, productivity and create an overall positive work experience for the members of the plant crew.
- Responsible for safety and environmental compliance of operations
- Actively manage plant and equipment maintenance.
- Direct, coach and develop employees and ensure compliance with established company policies.
- Work in varying weather conditions and work environments including dusty, wet, loud noises, etc.
- Keep company vehicle, property and equipment clean and orderly, informing management of any safety concerns or problems.
- Manage and train others in SBCC’s Lock-out/Tag-out Policies & Procedures and all other Safety regulations.
- Leads the Plant Preventative Maintenance Plan and can perform independently.
- Comply with all SBCC policies, procedures and safety requirements.
- Perform any other general duties as specified.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Must possess a valid driver's license and maintain an acceptable driving record by complying with standards established by SBCC policy.
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- Experience trouble-shooting and resolving equipment and product quality concerns.
- Ability to cut, weld and fabricate.
- Ability to diagnose sources of trouble and use various hand tools, power tools, and machinery such as grinders, presses, and jacks to complete repairs.
- Responsible for maintaining stationary equipment including but not limited to conveyors, shakers, drives, drum, and screws.
- Inspecting the condition of the machinery and documenting items in need of repair or service; diagnosing problems and performing mechanical repair and maintenance; replacing or repairing defective parts using hand tools, power tools, cutting torches, and welding equipment; rebuilding or fabricating parts; reading technical manuals; and may order parts from central services or outside suppliers/vendors.
- Possess basic computer skills and have the ability to read technical manuals and understand schematic diagrams.
- Strong leadership, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Must obtain a negative drug test result prior to hire and maintain throughout term of employment.
- Must meet SBCC's employment standards with regards to background checks.
- Flexible availability to include overtime, weekends, and nights and may require periods of “on-call” time.
- Work environments will vary making it necessary to tolerate weather conditions, such as rain and extreme temperatures. Employees may be exposed to dust, dirt, varying temperatures, loud noises, etc.
- Knowledge of office operations including MS Office Suite.
- Knowledge of 460V industrial electrical systems
A 3-year MVR is required at the time of application.
All selected candidates must pass background screening and pre-employment drug screening.
Sanders Brothers Construction, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
"EEO is the Law"