Phillips & Jordan is a privately held, woman owned heavy civil and infrastructure contractor established in 1952. Our Core Values and Priorities – Integrity, Safety, Quality, and Production – guide our daily business practices. Phillips & Jordan is committed to a “Zero Incident Philosophy” that entails no harm to person, property, the environment, or our reputation. We focus on 3 primary service areas: Heavy Civil Construction (Power Generation, Water Resources, and Industrial & Commercial), Right-of-Way Access & Construction (Power Delivery and Pipeline Services), and Disaster Response.
Phillips & Jordan is a national contractor that is registered to do business in all 50 states, currently has a workforce of approximately 1,200 employees, and owns and operates an extensive fleet of heavy and specialized pieces of equipment. Headquartered in Knoxville, Tennessee, Phillips & Jordan maintains regional offices in California, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Texas. At Phillips & Jordan our greatest resource is our employees and we are proud to have many second and third generation employees that have chosen to build their careers with Phillips & Jordan.
Phillips & Jordan is a proven innovator, a proven leader, and a proven solution in the industry, and has built a reputation for taking on some of the most challenging and difficult projects and successfully completing them on, or even ahead of, schedule. Phillips & Jordan employs a top notch workforce and we are always in need of new employees who are dependable professionals with experience in the construction industry, and who are safety conscious individuals that have a positive can do attitude, work well with others, and want to advance their careers.
Join the Phillips & Jordan team today and become a valued member of our company.
This position is responsible for operating several types of construction equipment such as dump trucks, bulldozers, front end loaders, graders, tracked excavators or water trucks to excavate, move, grade, and load earth into haul trucks.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Learn and follow safety regulations
• Take actions to avoid potential hazards or obstructions, such as utility lines, other equipment, other workers, or falling objects
• Locate underground services, such as pipes or wires, prior to beginning work
• Monitor operations to ensure that health and safety standards are met
• Adjust hand wheels and depress pedals to control attachments, such as blades, buckets, scrapers, or swing booms
• Start engines; move throttles, switches, or levers; or depress pedals to operate machines, such as bulldozers, trench excavators, road graders, or backhoes
• Coordinate machine actions with other activities, position or move loads in response to hand or audio signals from crew members
• Load and move dirt, rocks, equipment, or other materials using trucks, crawler tractors, power cranes, shovels, graders, or related equipment
• Check fuel supplies at sites to ensure adequate availability
• Drive and maneuver equipment with blades in successive passes over working areas to remove topsoil, vegetation, or rocks or to distribute and level earth or terrain
• Follow safety regulations
• Follow instructions and meet set standards
• Judge distances and slopes accurately
• Make decisions based on verifiable standards
• Must be able to stoop, bend, and crouch and use hands, arms, and legs fully
• Must have good vision and hearing (either naturally or with correction)
• Frequently lift up to 80 pounds, and the ability to carry objects weighing 50 pounds or less
• Work dusty or dirty surroundings
• Pass construction equipment operator qualification testing/observation
Education and Experience:
• High School Diploma preferred
• Two-three years verifiable and relevant experience