For 90 years, the professional men and women of Blythe Construction, Inc. have literally paved the way for hundreds of public and private projects that have supported the Southeast's rise to prominence. From large interstate highways to small commercial site development, Blythe Construction employees perform with pride and creativity. We approach every project with a dedication to efficiency, technology and, most of all, safety. Blythe Construction is proud to be a part of this area's history and development, and a partner in the Carolina’s future.
The Lowboy – Truck Driver is an hourly-rated skilled craft position that performs on construction projects any combination of the duties described below. The Lowboy – Truck Driver’s primary function is to safely load and secure equipment to be moved from one location to another. This job description may also perform a wide variety of tasks, transferring from one task to another as the work flow dictates.
- Valid Class “A” CDL license and driving record within MVR policy guidelines
- Must have familiarity with the safe operation of construction and/or paving equipment
- Responsible for the safe loading and unloading of construction and paving equipment
- Able to work day or night shifts as required
- Knowledge of all USDOT & FMCSA safety regulations
- Perform daily safety checks of fluid levels on oil, water, fuel and inspections for leaks and damage to vehicle prior to operation
- Responsible for notifying supervisor if vehicle needs to be repaired
- Experience with airbrakes and standard transmission
- Drive truck equipped with different trailer combinations
- Maintain completed pre and post trip DVIR
- Ability to calculate weights of equipment with truck/trailer combo to stay within DOT permitting restrictions and guidelines
- Knowledge of FMCSA cargo securement rules and regulations
- Required to carry a current medical examiners certificate (FMCSR part 391.41)
- Perform incidental work items and duties included within other crafts
- Able to safety drive a water tanker, flat bed and/or other commercial vehicles as required within driver’s license guidelines and with the required driver’s license endorsements
General. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each Key Duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and Experience. This position typically is not an entry-level job, as it requires demonstrable previous experience as a Lowboy – Truck Driver. A high school diploma or general education degree (GED) is preferred. Must be able to understand work directions and communicate effectively with job site supervisors and fellow employees.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of industry related experience in hauling heavy equipment is required for this position.
- Physical Demands. The following physical demands are representative of those that must be met by a Lowboy – Truck Driver to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Constant physical effort, including standing, is required during a regular work shift of at least eight hours per day. Employee must be able to stand for extended periods of time, and to stoop, bend, and crouch as required to perform Key Duties.
- Frequently work with hands extended overhead, sometimes in conjunction with the operation of load binding devices.
- Ability to lift, on a frequent basis, up to 50 pounds personally and up to 150 pounds with assistance.
- Manual dexterity to secure cargo utilizing chains and load binding devices on equipment
- Maintain constant alertness to the multiple concurrent activities of the construction site, including the activities of other employees and contractors, the operation of stationary equipment, and the movement of mobile equipment.
- Frequently walk on uneven surfaces, including natural ground in varying weather conditions.
- Work Environment. The work environment characteristics described below are representative of those that a Lowboy – Truck Driver encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Work is performed outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Work environment periodically exposes the employees to high levels of noise, grease, and dust that is typically associated with a construction project.
- Employee regularly works near heavy equipment and moving machinery.
- Work involves close proximity to high traffic areas, both in and out of construction zones
- Work may involve a variety of substances commonly found on construction sites such as form oil, grease, curing compounds, gasoline, diesel fuel and ready mixed concrete.
- Medical & Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Basic Life and AD&D Insurance
- Short Term Disability
- Voluntary Term Life
- Long Term Disability
- Sick Leave
- Paid Vacation & Holiday Pay
- 401(k) Plan
- Additional Benefits including wellness coaching, etc..
We promote a Drug-Free Workplace.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability are encouraged to apply.